Well this is my go-to hot-weather baking…hedgehog slice. I love the stuff. Its a real comfort food and its perfect for summer (because yes you still need comfort food in summer). All chocolaty goodness, yet still cool and it doesn’t require baking so it doesn’t heat up the kitchen in the inevitable string of 37degree days that we have during summer.
Comparatively there might seem like a lot of biscuits in this recipe but gluten free biscuits seem to absorb more liquid. I use Arnots Rice Ring Biscuits, they don’t have any ingredients that include gluten but are processed in the same environment as products that do contain gluten. If you are particularly sensitive or just worried I would suggest using another plain gluten free biscuit, Woolworths and Freedom Foods both make one that is relatively easy to buy. Also make sure you use pure cocoa powder.
Gluten Free Hedgehog Slice
1 ¼ cups caster sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup chopped pecans
½ cup desiccated coconut
150g dark chocolate, melted
- Line a slice tin with baking paper, allowing paper to over hang over two edges of pan.
- Place butter, sugar and cocoa in a medium sauce pan over a low heat, stirring occasionally until butter and sugar are melted. Remove from heat allow to cool a little and whisk in egg.
- Mix together biscuits, nuts and coconut in large bowl.
- Pour chocolate mixture over biscuit mixture; mix well. Press into prepared pan. Cover; refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Drizzle chocolate over top of slice; refrigerate for 15 minutes or until chocolate is set but still a bit soft. Remove slice by lifting with extended paper lining; cut into pieces.
This slice should keep for about a week, if you can get it to last that long!