So I made a dress from this Japanese Pattern book:
It was so quick and easy. It took a couple of hours and I really wasnt in any hurry. I got the fabric for $2 in the remnant bin at Spotlight and everything else came from my stash. Yep it cost me $2 for this whole dress! How stoked am I?
Yeah, I know, because I was being cheap (and too impatient to go to the store to buy a purple one) the zip isn’t matching, but I dont think it looks too awful when its on. Ok, don’t look too close, or you’ll notice how badly finished off the top of the zip is. Zip’s scare me. They really shouldn’t. Its not hard. I just get all nervous and over think them, that’s how I mess them up! I need to do them more and I’ll get better.
As you can see the actual pattern makes a Very full dress. So I cut it down a bit because I didn’t want it to be so poufy. I’m glad I did, it used less fabric and still has great shape.
I also added a gathered pocket. I used the left over fabric from cutting out the neck-piece. Shirred the top with three lines of elastic thread. I then trimmed it with some vintage crochet edging that Mum handed down to me from her stash. I made two pockets but I’ve only added one at this point. What do you think? Add another?
I took these pictures of the munchkin wearing it before I put the pocket on. I was just trying it on her and she wouldn’t take it off. Apparently it makes a great dress for flying airplanes:
for going on garden adventures:
and for checking the mail:
I realised to get any sewing done these days I needed a quiet place to sew while the girls were sleeping. So I moved our dining table into our bedroom and set up shop. Fortunately our table is a gate-leg and folds down perfectly to fit in the corner. I’m wondering why I never did this before:
Oh yeah because it means we don’t have a dining room table! Dinner was in the lounge that night. I think it might be there a few other nights while I get some projects done I’ve been wanting to tackle for ages.